If you've never had warm rhubarb sauce on vanilla ice cream, well, you just haven't lived. Believe me, even if you think you hate rhubarb, you will love this sauce.
- 2 pounds rhubarb,tops removed, ends trimmed, and cut into 1" pieces
- 3/4 cup raw sugar or more to taste if you don't like it tart (I do)
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg (or more if you love nutmeg like I do)
- dash of sea salt
Rhubarb Measure Conversions:
1 pound of rhubarb = 3 cups chopped rhubarb
3 cups chopped rhubarb = 2 cups cooked rhubarb
15 medium stalks of rhubarb = 6 cups chopped rhubarb (approximately)
In a 4-quart saucepan, combine rhubarb, sugar, orange juice, orange rind, nutmeg and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally - about 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
Or, if you just can't wait, spoon it immediately over some vanilla ice cream. Yum, yum, yum ... YUM.
|vigorous, juicy and full of vitamin C (remember, the green tops are not edible)|
|crunchy green inside, ruby outside|
|smell the sweet-tangy orange-rhubarb goodness!|